2 Corinthians 3:17-18 (NKJV)
17 Now the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
Liberty, freedom, these are words that have been abused in the world when it comes to life, particularly spiritual life. Many do not understand that the Liberty that the Holy Spirit offers is actually a slavery to righteousness not a freedom to do as we like. It is freedom from sin, so that we may become slaves of righteousness by choice.
Romans 6:15-18 (NLT)
15 Well then, since God’s grace has set us free from the law, does that mean we can go on sinning? Of course not! 16 Don’t you realize that you become the slave of whatever you choose to obey? You can be a slave to sin, which leads to death, or you can choose to obey God, which leads to righteous living. 17 Thank God! Once you were slaves of sin, but now you wholeheartedly obey this teaching we have given you. 18 Now you are free from your slavery to sin, and you have become slaves to righteous living.
The passage in 2 Cor. 3:17-18 tells us that through this liberty we are able to behold Christ daily so we can progressively be transformed into His nature and character.
So here is the Goal of our liberty:
- We become a people who desire that men know that we deeply love and obey God like our lord and Saviour Jesus Christ – John 14:30-31 (NLT)
30 “I don’t have much more time to talk to you, because the ruler of this world approaches. He has no power over me, 31 but I will do what the Father requires of me, so that the world will know that I love the Father. Come, let’s be going.
- We become a people who do the will of God from our hearts out of love and loyalty on earth as it is done in heaven – Matthew 6:9-10 (NKJV)
9 In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
- We become a people who walk in humility daily so that Christ may be revealed in us and through us – Matthew 11:28-30 (NKJV)
28 Come to Me, all you who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For My yoke is easy and My burden is light.”
- We become a people who declare to our world that our liberty derives from the fact that we follow the teachings of the Bible and the leading of the Holy Spirit in sanctification and holiness to glorify God on the earth – John 17:14-19 (NKJV)
14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.
- Our liberty does not involve sin, immorality, evil, wickedness, unforgiveness, corruption etc. It is a freedom that liberates us from the dissipation of sin and evil so that we can use our physical, mental and spiritual energies to work righteousness on the earth to the glory of God – 1 Peter 2:15-16 (NLT)
15 It is God’s will that your honorable lives should silence those ignorant people who make foolish accusations against you. 16 For you are free, yet you are God’s slaves, so don’t use your freedom as an excuse to do evil.
We conclude these thoughts with the age old Pilgrim’s Prayer: LORD BIND ME (TO YOURSELF) SO THAT I MAY BE FREE FROM SIN, SELF, THE WORLD AND THE DEVIL in Jesus name we pray, Amen.
May we all as many as share these thoughts and beliefs walk in true liberty of the Holy Spirit today and always to the glory of God, in Jesus name we pray, Amen.